View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
kzm007
Edge User

I concur with the mystery of the Kno, as well as the Toshiba's size; I have also heard that it tends to run very slowly and sluggishly.

I also seem to recall hearing the same information in regards to using games for education, but they have been around forever, and at the very least, may serve to acquaint someone with a new technology. My first experience with PCs was an Apple II playing "Oregon Trail," around the mid-90s. Later on, it was Windows 95 and the software for that OS (I still prefer 95, recalling its simplicity, and love XP on my secondary desktop, while my laptop uses Vista. It may have to do with nostalgia, but there it is.)

However, perhaps technology is too advanced these days to allow for games to be used as such tools, I do not know. The fact remains that games made the situations fun for me, and I recall them now. Recalling the data was the point, and the point was made. I can correlate this to games of 'Jeopardy' played in class to learn facts for a test - it did help, even a little.

While its unclear if making the classroom 'fun' will better help to instill information, it certainly did make the humdrum of school in general easier to handle by breaking the monotony. That really seems to have all sorts of psychological and sociological benefits to it; kids who are bored tend to do stupid things, especially when younger. If people are happy and having fun, there's less stress and the chance of lashing out is probably reduced (this coming from a man who was teased often in school for my shortcomings and physical limitations).

Can this sense of ease with learning a technology be carried into the new digital medium? I don't know, and time will tell. But two things are fundamentally still the same - if someone doesn't want to do something, it makes it harder to accomplish sometimes, and with the price point as-is, the younger crowd (even high schoolers) may be left out of this exciting new advancement.

The Edge combines three devices very well, and only stands to get better with time and dedication.

Last edited by kzm007; 08-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.