View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
alefor
Edge User

Just a few comments.... The Toshiba looks like it is actually coming out, but its quite small and not really suited for taking classroom type notes, or at least thats my impression from the pictures and stuff on the web site. It seems to be pitched as a pocket-sized device for sticky notes, etc. I dont think it is anything like the eDGe in intent. To my knowledge, the Kno doesnt exist yet. Who "knows" if it will ever really be sold (consider the Courier and the Plastic Logic Que.... both Dead before Arrival). Its a pretty device, but rather large at 14" and expensive at around $1000. And once again, the key will be availability of CONTENT.... that is textbooks. So far, this is still the big stumbling block in my opinion.

lastly you should know that the things you wrote about in your first post, such as games and videos to enhance learning... are totally unproven as learning tools. That is, there is essentially no evidence that e-learning enhances learning compared to more traditional methods such as books and notes. These are very fertile areas for contemporary educational research (thats one of my professional endeavors), and these techniques need to be refined and verified. Surely, it is not something that a hardware manufacturer or even software developed should be delving into. First, we need good quality scientific research to demonstrate an educational advantage... and the fact is that such results are rare at best, with lots of conflicting information in the scientific literature.

In any case, I am quite sure you will enjoy using the eDGe