View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
kzm007
Edge User

Lightbulb Using the Edge as a study tool - a few observations

It would be excellent if there was an app/program that offers simplicity in the relating of information to others, where it would be given to students in a straightforward and easy-to-understand format through the utilization of concise notes and hands-on video examples which showed them how the concepts are complete or why those concepts behave in a particular way.

Information that is presented in a fun and engaging style, such as a game, would also hopefully cause the student to WANT to learn about a topic; if they want to do it, and don't feel forced or pressured to do so, they will be more open and mentally perceptive to retaining what they study. The game format would be appealing to younger students, as well as older ones I am sure; personally, I find if I am enjoying something, it doesn't feel like work that absolutely has to be completed, and I seem to finish it more quickly as well as recall it more easily when prompted.

Seeing is believing, and I feel that it is most beneficial to show someone how something is done properly, as well as providing written information clearly stated and structured in a clean, easy-to-follow format, such as succinct note cards or summarized chapter pages containing all pertinent information for a subject. Things taken in smaller pieces are easier to process, understand and retain - the brain is essentially a giant computer with its own file-system and catalog of knowledge.

This filing and organization of data would allow for the use of repetition and memorization while a student is studying a field, something which aids them in recalling the information when it is most crucial, both on tests as well as later on in life or in the work force where it is most important.

In short, pieces of information could be seen as the pieces of a puzzle, and when all the pieces are properly placed, everything comes together; the answer is evident, the concept of a task is understood plainly.

To summarize:
1. Study apps, software, or websites formatted for the Edge.
2. Games for the device to make the subject more enjoyable to want to be learned or understood fully.
3. Concise written information presented in segments to a student, whether in school or out of.
4. Easy-to-follow videos that explain a concept or subject in an engaging way.

Last edited by kzm007; 08-12-2010 at 05:17 PM.