View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Calibre still is a single user program. That means that the cloud is of limited use to give shared access. Instead of sharing just the Calibre library, also share the computer that is running calibre.

Dedicate a computer or a VM and give users remote access to it. Only one user at the same time.

If only read access is needed, then the content server may be used instead. Or a local backup copy of the main library. Not a shared copy!
Adoby:

No--it was never my intent to have her share the actual library that's on my computer, as a multi-user environment. That's why I've been asking about best methods to achieve what I need. I also save a copy of the library to a single directory, which is on the dropbox. As far as I can tell, that is static--it's an output of a copy of the library, not the actual library. My understanding at this point is to simply copy the existing, entire library and ship her a copy via whatever means--over our WAN/LAN, dropbox, whatever--have her put it wherever on her computer she wants it, and run her own Calibre, simply using my library (copy). I don't see a way around that. The only other thing is the copy in the single directory, (on Dropbox) which I only want her to have access to, for the simple purpose of opening the cover images' properties, for a simple/fast method of copying the entire filenames, to populate the cover file field in our CMS. The name-matching is important, as I take all the covers created in the 'save file to a single directory" option in Calibre so that I end up with those hundreds of covers for that month with individually named jpegs,and then I FTP those covers to our webserver, to be used in the individual book entries. When the book entries are created on our CMS, the individual cover image filename is entered into the "cover" field--so what's typed has to match the filename that was FTP'ed, obviously.

I think, if I understand the toots and the comments here, that should achieve what I want; she has a full-blown copy of Calibre with our library running on her computer, so she can access the book details for each; and she can access the individually-named cover files on the dropbox, which has the "save to a single directory" copy of our library. The only inconvenience is that I have to send her a new copy of the library whenever I update it--correct?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote