View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #69
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Maggie, that makes a lot of sense in theory, but I get the impression that there are many here at MR who disagree that the real world works like that.

Specifically, I think many challenge the proposal that the big publishers are run by competent managers. I define competent as being good in the book business, not merely maximizing shareholders short term profits.

And second, I think that many believe that the marketplace will not take dispose of the bad managers because the government with its enforcement of copyrights laws will protect them.
Let's assume they're incompetent for the sake of discussion. And that government will keep inept people in charge. If that's the case, I don't see consumer complaints helping.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote