View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #44
shall1028
Nameless Being

Fan boy? Me? Bwaahaaahaahaa! ROTFL! ROTOFL (rolling on the other floor laughing).

Here's what's wrong with the Kobo:
  1. PDF rendering sucks. Maneuvering around oversized PDFs sucks. Ha! Double-ha! But then again, I knew it would unless the PDF was tailored to the device.
  2. No newspaper support until now after "coming soon" messages. Bad Marketing group; no doughnut. But then again I knew that the iPad would be better at newspaper rendering (bigger screen, fan boys galore to make good apps, etc.) Sum it up to they bit off way more than they could chew.
  3. Desktop software still doesn't sync properly re: bookmarks. I don't read in the desktop app so it only affects me if and when I purchase e-books with it (which has been two or three times now in 4 or 5 months). There's just so much free stuff out there that I haven't read yet. I can't believe I waited 40 years to read Frankenstein, Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, etc.
  4. possibly other things that I can't quite recall but they are there.

At the risk of sounding like a fan boy I must say the only time I had a problem with the beast was when I used a certain third party format converter/e-book library management tool that is still sub version 1 and that seems to have a new update every time I use it. Since I jettisoned that software I have had no problems with corruption etc. and hence no need to talk to customer support. Having provided customer support for software I know how difficult a job that can be. Of course, that was 15 to 20 years ago when people didn't expect all problems to be solved in 30 minutes or less (thank you Dominos Pizza marketing men).

In short I bought the beast knowing its limitations and was willing to gamble 150 bucks (I don't drink, smoke, do recreational pharmaceuticals nor gamble so I am allowed to throw money away every now and then). I have it and now I have to live with it. It allows me to read e-pubs reasonably well and the drawbacks and failings, while they exist, don't affect me--yet.

Could the company improve? Hell yeah. Will I buy the WiFi version? No. Will I buy any other version that they put out three years from now after my battery dies and the beast truly becomes a brick? Maybe but only if the unit then is stellar.

All I can do for now is help those people who have bought the unit and are having problems cope with the Kobo reader's problems and inadequacies.