View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvmax View Post
I started reading Leo's book when I saw his books at Baen publishing. Actually I had read his first Conrad book as a pBook and had liked it but had forgotten the author, so when I started reading it again I recognized the story, then bought all the Conrad book I could in their electronic versions.

I guess there was a falling out between Leo and his publisher because he is now self publishing, which is great but Leo seems to have a very inflated sense of his writing.
Leo has been around for a while. The Conrad series are firm alternate history, dropping a 20th Century Polish engineer into 13th century Poland. They have fans, but have also gotten criticized for errors in both science and history, and for viewpoints some readers considered misogynistic.

The last I knew, he'd moved to Russia, and was living in a village outside Moscow, and looking for "a dumb blonde girl" to marry him (that from another SF/F writer who used to room with him at SF cons.) Russia is certainly going to be a cheaper place to live, though the idea of a Pole going there to live deliberately is a little boggling.

I don't know what the relationship between Leo and Baen may be, but from what I've heard, his writing isn't the only thing he has an inflated sense of. It's possible he just decided he was now well enough known that he could self publish and keep a larger cut of the proceeds.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote