View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #74
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieru View Post
I think I might have had this happen to me. It didn't give any error but today while switching wallpapers the device rebooted. When it came back up everything was back to factory settings except: the wall paper was switched to what I selected and the application list included everything I had installed but everything crashes when I try and run it.

My device had been rooted. I've had it crash before when switching wallpapers but it never reset itself before.

I really hope we can get a decent third party firmware going.

Has anyone taken the freescale ubuntu images and tried booting them?
In my case, it was a full factory reset - I went again through the same procedure as when I used it for the first time (signing up for the Kobo account, wifi settings etc.) All my applications are gone, including the root access. The wallpaper is exactly as it was at the beginning.

Which does suggest that the recovery*.zip file is not purely stock Android - it must have the Kobo initialization script (signing up for an account and getting an update). And then the first "update" is probably installing the first real Kobo distro.

Regarding restoring the system using an image of the internal micro-SD - it should work (at least when you are not trying to change partitions), but I haven't tried it yet.

I would leave physical swapping of the internal SD card as the last resort, when the unit is completely bricked, as these cards are extremely flimsy, and the card slot is probably flimsy too. The first card I bought to use as an external micro-SD card for Kobo, 16GB, stopped working (I suspect my kids played with it - though I can't find any signs of physical damage). Then as an experiment I very slightly bent it, and it immediately broke into two separate pieces.

As long as one can reboot the unit, and get adb over USB access, the best way to fix a bricked unit is to copy the image back onto the card using adb. I'll probably write a small guide regarding how to set up adb over USB access to Kobo Vox (from Linux), and how to create a backup (clone) SD card.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote