View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #164
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
<snip>
Does anyone know of a program that does everything and isn't super expensive?
Hi Harper, et al,

sadly, I know of none

Your process seems laborious, but changing might upset your equilibrium. Google "novel writing software" and you'll get a fair few alternatives, with two "Top 10..." pages, one of which only has 7 entries, but they obviously thought that was close enough. (The scientist in me would rebel at that, but it takes all kinds, I guess! )

As far as being compelled to go forward all the time, it would bug me terribly, and I wouldn't be able to continue for long, but a dear friend of mine said she loved that part of LSB, and bought it rather promptly. Also, when I was studying, I was told to write and keep writing, and not go back and edit. It took me a while but I got to 85,000 words in around 6 months. A lot of it rubbish, but I could work on it afterwards and get editing on what I had. It builds discipline, if you keep gong forward and you end up with a story. Of course, with my typing it may be incomprehensible, but you can't have everything.

The software I have (and recently moved away from) helped place some very useful tools at my disposal, and because I have much of the day to write, I can make some good progress - 20k words in around 2 months. Again it needs work (particularly since I decided to change the tense and POV), but things are going well, and I think the plot is standing up to scrutiny. So I'm relatively happy.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote