View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
It isn't often I completely agree with Jon, but yeah... Open Source DRM is a contradiction in terms. Just forget about DRM and provide a good product. DRM has never prevented ebooks from being pirated.
Well, I agree and disagree...

PGP was open source and that made it much better. As Phil Zimmermann the creator of PGP had said... and encryption algorithm that can be broken by simply knowing the algorithm is security by obscurity. PGP was secure because having the code didn't help if you didn't have the private key.

So, I disagree that an Open source DRM platform could not exist and be secure. Most "breaches" of DRM out there isn't actually a breach.... they are more decryptors that work with the keys which are retrieved from install of the various eReading software.

Where I agree...

DRM is a waste of time and money since it doesn't really stop unauthorized copying in any way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote