View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Well, if I'm at home I don't have that kind of problem, I can connect to Dropbox. What I'm talking about is being in a foreign country for example, where you will only have intermittent access to the Net from hotels or cafés. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. My iPad is a personal device and the company's policy is against connecting anything but company devices to their network. When I'm in France I use 3G and the Net to transfer files from my professional PC to my iPad. Abroad, I just couldn't do a thing. I'm also not allowed to install software on the company PC.

But anyway, my point was that Apple has no right to prevent me from doing something as basic as copying a file from a USB key. That makes me angry every time I think about it. Even if it's possible one way or another, it will always be a workaround for something that they are willfully trying to prevent me from doing. It's not like they didn't think it would be useful. They just don't want me to do it.
In the meantime, for those who don't want to jailbreak their iDevices in order to be able to connect usb memory sticks directly, probably the easiest and cheapest way is to get wi-fi enclosure for external hdd.

With wi-fi enclosure turned off and connected to PC via usb cable, we can transfer our files from PC to enclosured hdd as with any external hdd, or transfer files from PC to usb memory stick and then plug memory stick into enclosured hdd.

Also we can henceforth always buy the cheapest iPad/iPhone and Android because we don't need a lot of memory capacity anymore and all our files are in one place capable of being wirelessly accessed with many iOS or Android tablets simultaneously.

If we need something smaller and lighter then

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connec...words=ipad+hdd

Last edited by markom; 08-22-2014 at 11:49 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote