View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 AM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Odd. I have a Kindle, and I don't have to buy all my ebooks from Amazon. I can get DRM-free books from several places, and furthermore, Calibre is my friend.
I thought it obvious that I was talking about major "real" books, copyrighted ones that are also sold in a hardcover edition. Practically none of them come without DRM. The Kindle uses their own proprietary flavor, and I am not aware of an easy & legal way to buy your books at, say, Barnes & Noble or one of the specialty bookstores and read them on a Kindle. So, yes, there's definitely a device lock-in factor to consider, that's the point I've been trying to make.

Quote:
A major drawback to one can be a minor hindrance to another, although YMMV.
Quite so.

Quote:
Are you a real librarian? I hope not, with your opinions.
Ah, you mean I should leave my views at the library door? Let's put it that way: they don't affect my work but I still have them, 'k?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote