View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's nothing wrong with tailoring your writing towards a segment of the public... assuming you can do it. Some writers are quite good at it, but not all.

But targeting a stereotypical group is always problematic and imprecise; not everyone in such a group is actually going to know the same words and idioms, or desire the exact same thing from a book. The most you can do is assume a "largest common denominator" and write to them, thereby risking the alienation of everyone else. If your LCD is large enough, that may be fine; otherwise, it's a wasted effort.

Generally speaking, you rarely go wrong in overestimating your audience (by at least a little)... most of them can learn. I just write and assume my target audience can handle my writing style well enough to enjoy the story. I avoid going overboard in jargon and wordy descriptions, and it seems to work.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote