View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I could never do it. But be interested on how your experience turns out
Thanks. I'll keep you apprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would think the most important aspect of a writing relationship would be the ability, and willingness, to listen to critiques about your work without getting offended - and be able to compromise on the storyline/character development even if it isn't exactly how you would do it.
This is what has me a little worried. What if I'm terrible at working together? I mean, I'm kind of pushy about some things, then really slack about others. I get this vision in my head about what a story should be, and now I'm questioning how well I could take the criticism without being a simmering little stew pot of resentment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I doubt if I could do it - certainly not the way I write now. Like you, I would be worrying that you are both at such different points in your writing - I think Turtle91 could be right, that the person may actually be looking for a mentor rather than a partner. BUT ... you don't know until you try. Who knows, you may find that it suits you perfectly. (Let's all join in the chorus: Always look on the bright side of life, da-da, da-da, da-da-di-da-di-da ... )
One of my favorite movies

I don't know how well I would do in the role of mentor seeing as there's so much stuff I don't know myself. Self-publishing is a lot easier when you're doing it alone because you can just do whatever and your screw ups only affect yourself.

But how does sharing the money even work with a partner? Do I just break off half and hand it over, then file a 1099 at the end of the year? If we submit a story to a publisher, will the publisher just cut two payments?

The more I think about it, the more daunting it becomes.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote