View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #83
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've got paperback copies of the 12 books (Belgariad, Malloreon, Belgarath, Polgara). Haven't read the Rivan Codex yet, but I've been meaning to. I think the Pawn of Prophecy was the second fantasy book I've read. The first one was The Crystal Shard from the Icewind Dale Trilogy (Forgotten Realms) by R.A. Salvatore. I stayed in a dormitory in high school and we weren't allowed to watch TV so reading was one of our favorite pasttimes (not that I wasn't already an avid reader before). We were just swapping books and that's what got me started on the fantasy genre.

Nowadays, though, I prefer reading on the iPhone than the actual books. I often read in the dark so the backlit screen is really useful, hence, the reason I'm trying to get copies of my books in ebook format. Heck, I'll probably put the paperbooks in storage or donate them to the library if I can get digital copies. I'm quite low on space...
Blimey where did you go to school that you weren't allowed to watch telly!!! Sounds like some militant school or something! (note: I did mean militant not military just in case anybody else jumps in to nitpick )

I have to admit I read mostly sci-fi until I was given POP and after that I was hooked, I rarely read anything other than fantasy now (with the odd exception I still re-read Harry Harrisons Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld series every so often).

I used to own thousands of books and never had the space to keep them all I've started replacing them all within the last two years or so with e-book versions (I will admit to using darknet versions before then but I realised I get so much enjoyment out of these pieces of literature that I wanted legal versions). I ended up selling all the books I've been able to replace to a local second hand book store for 10p a book figuring somebody else might be able to get some enjoyment out of them at a fraction of the cost of buying them new.

Pretty much the only thing missing from the e-book experience in my view is the sheer enjoyment I used to be able to get from spending a few hours a week browsing through second hand books stores. You could pretty much guarantee that the person running the store would be only too willing to discuss the books you were looking at in great detail...
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote