View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Krystl
Connoisseur
Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krystl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-t1
Europe: Sony T1 vs Kobo or something else?

I am an American teacher living in Europe (for 18 years now), I have quite the library of books in various languages filling my house. I have been reading all the pros and cons of e-books and have come to the conclusion that it is a good solution for my needs. However, finding a device to tryout here is harder than it should be (not prevalent here--Germans, I KNOW that they have them, but not here where I am ).

I am concerned by DRM (sorry, just not sure I buy the arguements right now--don't get me started on geographically coding DVDs etc.) and also the fact that e-books via amazon are practically non-existant for my location--have to cross the border into Germany for a more limited selection. Therefore, Kindle is NOT an option. Nook is also a no-go for similar reasons.

I have read through the posts here, but everyone needs something else.

Epub seems to be the way to go. Finding readers for this seems to be more difficult, as people seem to compare kindle and nook. Both the Sony and the Kobo are mentioned but I am not sure how these two compare to one another. I am open to any other suggestion, as well--but like the smaller format as pdf etc. is not necessary.

I would like an epub reader with
-- both buttons and touchscreen (solely for note-taking)
-- stable OS
-- simple loading and functioning (fairly intuitive)
-- readablility (minimal flashing, fluid scrolling)
-- collection capabilities via metadata (i.e. over Calibre)
-- export capabilities of notes
-- expandable memory
-- "unlocked" for all sources (non proprietary)
-- landscape mode for event. text pdfs

another question is the reading of German-specific letters (umlauts). In my test in calibre the umlauts couldn't be reproduced--is this normal and something for me to "get used to"?

I have 101 questions, but first I need a device
Krystl is offline   Reply With Quote