Thread: Touch .kepub.epub
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #223
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
@PeterT
No problem with the Kobo desktop - it seems to work fine.

@davidfor
I've tried it on another USB port without any improvement, without Calibre loaded I can load the database over USB into a SQLite browser and examine the tables (I'm not going to modify them as that might seriously screw things up).
Can you run "PRAGMA integrity_check" against the database? This will check if there are any problems with the database.
Quote:
Filesystem scan didn't throw up any errors.

It seems clear that "something happens" after the initial communication between the Touch driver and the Kobo which then makes the drives allocated to the device invisible to the O.S. - Device Manager can see the hardware but not any drives associated with it. The same goes for Computer Management's Logical Disk Manager which, prior to the Calibre connection shows both drives as Healthy FAT32.
Yes, but what is the problem.
Quote:
Everything worked fine before the 2.50 upgrade.

I noticed that with 2.50 the ProductID for the Kobo was upped from 4163 to 4173 and instead of being simply having a device name of "eReader" it became "eReader-2.5.0" though USBDeview shows them as otherwise the same.
I sure hope the ProductID didn't change. x4173 is the id for the Glo. If you had x4163 before, then that is very strange.

Since 2.3.1 I think, the device name has included the firmware version.
Quote:
I see Joel's Extended Driver has been updated so I enabled that to check if there is any improvement but no, nothing has changed there (I don't know if that would help though until the basic driver has been updated).
That is correct. Most of Joel's driver is changing the file. The base driver and calibre do the file copies any changes to the database. But, the update to the base driver isn't going to change anything. The only changes are an update in the firmware version numbers and management of cover images on the SD card. There haven't been any changes that could affect this for at least a month.
Quote:
It looks like I need to revert to 2.4 to see if the problem then goes away or if the update was just a co-incidence. - I think the fact that I can happily communicate with the Kobo for as long as I want until the Touch Driver comes into play does rule out any hardware issues (ports, cables etc).
You could take a copy of the database. Then log out on the device and get a new one when it restarts. Then see if the communications with calibre still breaks. If it doesn't, then it was a database problem. If the problem is still there, you can restore the copy of the database and try downgrading the firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote