View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #84
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Two other apps that I have been testing lately are Moleskine and Pento. I wouldn't advise paying for either of these as they are clearly still works in progress, but they both have good-looking interfaces and look promising.

To a notebook addict like myself, seeing the name Moleskine on an app is of course very exciting. And since the app is (for now) free, I lost no time in giving it a try. The app is visually very pleasing and does look like a Moleskine notebook, but there is still a lot of work to make it useable. The app is excruciatingly slow and a bit buggy. Handwriting is not very good but sketching is OK. iOS auto-correct does not work on the type tool, which is a big problem for me (in French, since the accents are not on the iOS keyboard, auto-correct is essential to fill them, otherwise typing is slow and cumbersome).

Pento is sold for $2.99, but I would not recommend paying for it just yet. However the app is regularly offered for free, and that's how I got it. There is also a Pento Lite apparently, which I didn't try. I really like the look of the app. It has a "grabber" function that you can use to copy a web page to your notebook (as an image) and annotate it. But like Moleskine, it still needs a lot of work. The interface is sometimes clumsy or annoying (no undo button but a gesture which I can't be bothered to memorize) and essential functionalities are missing (auto-correct again). I don't see a lot of upgrades though, so I have to wonder if it will ever get to be worth the price asked. I hope so.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote