Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #122
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Let me explain that the books I named were mostly out of the natural progression of epics, as it seemed to me, from The Iliad to Ulysses. The Odyssey as the follow-up story to The Iliad and the direct inspiration for Ulysses, and The Aeneid as another tale of a wanderer after the Trojan War.
Yes, it makes sense to me and I like it.

Quote:
But if we're going to get serious about this, I realize that may make it too classic-heavy and epic-heavy for some tastes, and perhaps mixing it up a bit would be better.
The point would be famous difficult classics yes? So I don't see classic-heavy being a problem. Maybe ancient-heavy if that's what you meant, and also yes perhaps epic-heavy, but I like that there'd be a theme to it for the year. And honestly, though it be ancient, I'm finding the Iliad very lively and plain for a book written so long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
On the other hand, I'd hate to see it become more about the selection process than the actual reading. Not that that would ever happen here at MR.

Honestly, in the way you've put it, I like how it'd be pretty different from a book club, or different from our book clubs anyway. It'd only be seasonal and a bit more in-depth with the discussion since we'd discuss chunks at a time. Plus, as you've already suggested the reads for the year, there's obviously no need for nominations or votes or all that.

Even if you hadn't already suggested the reads for the year, if I had posted the idea I had first I was going to suggest we all whoever is interested just discuss it and hopefully there's a general consensus on what to read, and if not then you (if you're going to lead this thing) just sort of make an executive decision. In this endeavour we shall ban nominations and polls!

Quote:
Let's keep it under advisement; I'm game and there must be others out there.
We'll see what happens. Certainly, if this doesn't happen, I have enough other stuff on my plate to keep me busy this year!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote