Thread: MobileRead January 2012 - Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #71
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Don't bother buying the second book, A Murder of Quality. It's mediocre, isn't a spy story, and doesn't include anything you need to know for later books. Trust me on this one. Like many authors, Le Carré suffered a Sophomore Slump but recovered with book #3 (Spy Who Came in from the Cold).
Thanks for the warning. I didn't even realize it was a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I'll say this for A Game of Thrones: it's unlike typical "fantasy," in that it's a story largely without magic & supernatural beings. Rather, it's a complicated tale of intrigue and politics among the noble houses of seven feudal, pre-industrial kingdoms. Ambition, greed, sex, power, plots, alliances, deceits, double-crosses, etc. A Game of Thrones is among the best fantasy I've ever read, and it's worth a try for people who "don't like fantasy." That said, please don't vote for it; I just re-read the series several months ago.
The TV show actually turned me off to trying the series, but you make it sound great...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote