View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I think it's a fantastic book - an absolute must-read.

I enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns as well, but it didn't quit soar to the same level.

Yes, the story is brutal, at times - this is not cheerful reading. But the book is well worth the read nevertheless. The writing is superb, and the author does a wonderful job at leading the reader towards understanding the settings, the mindset, the historical events.

I wouldn't recommend it to a kid, due to the sometimes disturbing themes, but nothing in there is the gory-sadistic brutality of a splatter movie/book. The violence, in this novel, has its place in the narrative.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I find it disturbing that a book of this level is being discounted or even criticized for one brutal scene. Are we entering a new phase of reader-driven-censorship? Do we want writers to tell us just fairy tales, to convince us that growing up in a war-torn country was all smiles and hugs?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote