View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham340 View Post
[snip]
But i have some questions for some kind soul who knows. First what did i do that made it work? Was it the Metadata manipulation or was it the fact that Amazon converted files to azw when i sent them?
For the syncing part your metadata fix was sufficient. Specifically assigning an asin to the books. Those don't have to be real asins, but they need to be distinct from one to another book. When faking asins try to have them not accidentally be the same as a real one - not starting them with B00 should be enough. If they sync last page read they should also sync the annotations, even if the books are not in the cloud. Only uploading them to the cloud alone will not let you sync it across devices. I remember having books in the cloud that have no asin, they say they sync, but it does not store the data on Amazon server. You should be able to delete the book from the Fire and load it again by sticking in the books folder via sideloading. Try it and see if you get your annotations / bookmarks / last page read for it by syncing.
Quote:
Moreover, I'm still a bit put out by the fact that they are in the documents and not the books folder. Especially noticeable on the kindle fire hd. The paperwhite seems to handle them no different than a book, but on the fire, noticeable that they are "docs" (seperate interface from books and no covers) .
Sideloading even when they are in the cloud might help. There is problems with covers not showing if the covers are not the right size - and not only on the Fire, but on PW as well, possibly KT with new 5.3.2 as well. Dig a little around - there is a lot of threads about covers not showing up. As I don't use cover view this is not an issue for me, so I don't have any thread I could link you to.

Quote:
It seems to me that given what i want, going the "send to kindle documents" route vice side loading into the books folder is a better result for syncing and cloud storage but I'm not sure. Anyone have any opinions on this?
I think the whole cloud storing of books can be skipped and still have annotations backed up to Amazon. But then, I do not sync across multiple devices and I am not planning on playing around with that.

Rest of the post I am a bit clueless on how to answer that correctly.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote