View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I've never managed to make it through Tolkien, despite several attempts, so I can't compare. I read this book in March, and here's a portion of what I wrote:

So I have to agree with you on the Harry Potter for adults Or perhaps Wizard of Earthsea (if that book weren't so one-dimensional).

I grew a bit tired of how Kvothe was always trying to find tuition money, but frankly, I spent a great deal of my time as a college student with similar issues, so it resonated with me.

The part that's killing me: where are the scrael?! These nasty little buggers drew me in during the first part of the book, and they haven't (yet) been heard from. I want to know more about the scrael!

After finishing Kingkiller 1, I promptly read Kingkiller 2 and loved it as well. The only negative thing I have to say about book 2 is that there's an extended scene in the fairy world that doesn't fit the flow of the narrative at all, and it draaaaags. But despite the poor pacing in that one area, the second book was also a solid and enjoyable read.
I purchased the second book, but haven't gone around to reading it. Funny thing is, I keep hearing about the (sex-filled?) scene in the fairy world - you are not the only one who thinks it drags, apparently.

And yes, I am curious about the scrael. I think that's the strong point of the story - and it's sadly undeveloped in the first book.

And I am convinced the author had tuition-money problems as well. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder

To some extent, it seems to me this book had the potential to be truly epic - but it needed a couple more revisions and possibly a serious editor. There are just some edges to be smoothed, the basic ingredients are there - and the writing is not bad, for fantasy standards.

I am glad I read it, will keep reading the series. But I am not enthusiastic.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote