View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora View Post
As for testing ebooks on older devices ... what if you don't have them? You'd have to have dozens to fully test an ebook.

So far I haven't done anything bleeding edge for my clients (not that I could, yet). Novels and self-help books are fairly straightforward. My eformatting mentor stressed the importance of keeping the HTML and CSS as simple as possible, to avoid compatibility problems with the multitudes of devices and apps out there.
A few things to do that you can do on a computer running Windows.

Install ADE 1.72, ADE 2.0 and Sony's Reader Library.

When you want to test how your ePub will look, use all three programs. ADE 1.7.2 is an older version and some Readers are using such an older version. Also, test in ADE 2.0 as that is the newer version and some Readers use a newer version. Also test with Sony's Reader Library that uses ADE 1.7.2 but the display will show you how your ePub will look on a 6" screen.

If your ePub looks good in all three, you are good to go. If not, back to fixing until you get all three to look good. This way, you won't need to buy all the Readers out there just to test your ePub. This you can do with Windows and it will work and it will be easier to do.

As for validating your ePub, use epubcheck 3.0.1 and not whatever is online. Do so from your Windows computer. This way you are sure that the software you are using is correct and up-to-date. Plus, it's faster then uploading to be validated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote