View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #515
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rchid View Post
How do you get the cover to show up on the glo? The cover I select always looks perfect on Calibre but when I transfer the epub file to my kobo glo, it either doesn't work (and I get the default first page of the gutenberg books) or the cover is tiny and does not stretch across book even though the img jpeg is big enough to do so (eg. 525x700). I don't understand what I'm doing wrong since sometimes the cover is perfect and sometimes it doesn't even work at all
There is a couple of different problems here.

The first one is that when you add or change the cover in the calibre library, it doesn't actually update the book. The cover is stored separately in the library and you have to do something to update the book. The traditional way to do this is by a epub-to-epub conversion. This can insert the cover at the start of the book. And it inserts it in a way that it will size to fill the screen. But, recently a new function has been added to calibre. This is the "Polish books" option. It does a few things to clean or fix up books without a conversion. Adding/changing the cover image is one of them. The toolbar icon is a brush. If you don't see it and you are using the current version, then you will need to add the icon via the preferences.

The second problem is related to how the cover page is defined in the book and the Kobo devices use the first page of the book as the cover. Most epubs use code to fill the screen with the image or size it full screen in one dimension without changing the aspect ratio. But some display the image without resizing. If that is the case, a 525x700 image wouldn't fill the screen. In this case, I'm not sure what the best solution is. I normally edit the epub in Sigil and fix it there. But, the Polish books function might fix it. If the book already has a cover, I don't know if it simply replaces the image or replaces the page code with the default cover page code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote