View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Instead of explictly charging a monthly fee, Amazon could tie it to all hardware Kindles, not those of Prime subscribers. It certainly would change the reader business if each Kindle came with a free subscription to a library of 100k contemporary ebooks. And it might even allow Kindle pricing to be slighly higher than that their competitors.
First, I agree with TubeMonkey, that this is an excellent post, and I agree with most of it. However, I'm not so sure about the section above.

The problem is that Amazon loses money on the hardware (slightly) and makes money on the content. If prime book lending was unlimited, I wouldn't need to buy other books. I know many books aren't in prime, but I think I can find reading material among a 100k library -- I read a lot of independents now. Your idea could work if the basic subscription continued to be limited in the number of checkouts per month (maybe that's what you meant).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote