View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1349
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I don't know how you got to that situation.

If you do an 'epub update' or 'update always', FFDL will refuse to update an existing epub that has more chapters than the site does.

So either you're trying to do an overwrite--which *can* overwrite an existing with more chapters (sometimes authors consolidate chapters), or you saw the Yes/No/ViewLog box and didn't realize that it said it *wouldn't* update it.

I suppose I could add an optional feature to only update books with matching URL, not title/author. But that could easily lead to duplicate books.

Or a different (optional?) feature, acting a bit like the reject list feature, to ask the user to confirm when an update/overwrite would change the story URL.

Do either of those ideas appeal to anyone?
I originally grabbed the story from FFN. I then tried to get the story from AO3. There had been at least three or four stories that came back 'updated', however, only two of them were rejected. So that url I provided may have not been overwriting the epub. Still, I want to look at the two versions of the same story before I delete one. Once I determine which one I will keep, I can simply add the other one to the rejection list.

I like the first option of updating based on story URL. Although it would create a duplicate, I could compare the duplicate stories and decide which one to keep. The second option of asking permission to overwrite the story URL could also work. It would let me know when I had a story on two sites. Then I could use the same method I am using now:

1. use different libraries to get the stories from different websites
2. merge libraries and allow for duplicates
3. examine duplicates to determine which one to keep
4. add rejected story URL to rejected list with 'duplicate story' tag

Either way, I'm still looking at duplicate stories to determine which one to keep. The first one would save me a step. It also might prevent duplicate stories when an author changes his or her name, as I have seen a few different authors on FFN change their name mid way through a story. The story would be recognized by the url and wouldn't be duplicated because the author's name no longer matched.