View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
^^I think the casual racism in Australia bothered me most because Jean was quite enlightened for her time toward the Malays and Islam. Somehow she didn't bring the same empathy toward the native people of Australia. <snip>
I agree with you. There was a glimpse of that "enlightenment" when she expressed surprise over the suggestion of not allowing the Native Australians to frequent the same side of the ice cream shop as the White Australians. However, that empathy quickly and completely disappeared once she decided to open a "separate but equal" part of the store - which, if I remember correctly, was not always exactly equal.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote