Thread: Kobo Software
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Hi all you fellow kiwis...

No-one has mentioned Calibre in this thread, which I thought might be useful.

Basically, the first thing to do when you get your Kobo is delete the sqlite file containing the 100 'free' books, then use the Whitcoulls application to "Sync" and get itself happy that it has no books on it.

Then install Adobe DRM if you want to buy/install any Adobe DRM books.

Then install Calibre to install all other books, epubs, text files, PDFs and so on. Calibre has a weak and not particularly intuitive interface (although it's better than the Adobe or Whitcoulls things), although it does get on with the job once you get the hang of it. It will convert your files that you buy or download, wherever you get them from, and help you manage your library and sync it with your Kobo.

If the instructions in the Kobo package had said this, it would have got me up and running without wasting part of the first day working this out.

Fantastic reader -- all I want now is a fix to the font problem, particularly one that will let the text be *smaller* not bigger... Calibre will sort of do this to a limited extent, but the Kobo itself has no idea how to change fonts or sizes except on a very small number of books. One day they will get a programmer who can make this happen and update the firmware, and then it will be pretty darned good...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote