View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
We'll see.

Most people buy gadgets from marketing hype, playing around with display models, playing with friends etc.

And most talk of iPads from owners is very positive. My girlfriend loves hers--hell I like it a lot. I just don't like many of Apple's policies.

And when we've had it in public people have asked a ton of questions etc.

So I think you overestimate the impact of the tech heads on sales. Just look at the crazy sales of the iPhones--tech heads complaints about it and Apple's policies didn't slow it's sales or have people rushing to by Android phones etc.
I would say the tide is only just turning, and it's only in these last few weeks that the real anti-apple stuff has actually started making sense to a broader spectrum of people. Of course marketing (spits) has had a lot to do with the success of Apple - they don't sell computers, they sell an Ikea version of life and computing to people. A dumbed-down, sleek, unitard vision of what the future might be. Unfortunately for those who aren't tech savvy, the restrictive nature of this future, the glowing age-death in the palm of every Logan user, is not clear immediately. It's only when the crystal glows, the app disappears or the user tries to do something beyond the set of Jobs's vision-for-us-all (tm) that the reality sets in. And then who do they go to? The Einstein-apple employees, the ministers of the new faith in their clear-cube churches? Well if they do they'll find out, like most churches, you end up paying a lot more than you thought for salvation. And if they turn to their tech friends they'll be told the real truth; God doesn't exist, the cake is a lie and what you thought you owned was only an illusion. Jobs owns it all, from gate to garden, app store to your eyeballs, Jobs (all hail the Mighty One) is in control.

Mark these words, place them in iCal if you must, but within a year the Apple cult will fall, the clear cubes will grow opaque and the ministers of the church of Jobs will lose their tongues.

You can fool all of your customers most of the time, but you can't piss off developers and competitors even once before the shit hits the fan. Or should that be, iFan (tm)?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote