View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Part 1 - Setup

This part can be the hardest and is probably why you see so many posts by folks who just couldn't get it working at all. But follow along with me and you'll probably get by just fine.

First get perl. Perl is a scripting language often used on websites for nifty tricks and all sorts of things. I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about it. Sitescooper is written in perl, so in order for it to run, your OS must have a copy. Most Windows machines will not have it already. (I think that many Linux installs include it by default.) So go here to ActiveState and download the latest build. I download it in the "msi" format, which is a Windows installer file. If that will not run on your machine you need to update your Windows Installer package. (To be honest, I'm not sure how that's done, though I know I've done it... Perhaps someone can interject on this? You might try Windows Update?) There is also a download option called the "AS Package," which is a zip file. Don't know much about it. I do see that on the sidebar it says that you cannot uninstall from the AS Package. Anyway, install perl. Make sure that you answer yes to the question that will put perl in the PATH. You'll see why later. And I think that you need to reboot after this install, though it won't tell you so. Can't hurt.

Okay, now that's half of it. Now we need the program. Follow along with what Alexander says in the intro post and get the "bleeding edge" version from sitescooper.org. This link will download the latest Windows version in a zip file. Unzip it wherever you like, but put it somewhere that you think it will stay. I put mine in my C:/Program Files/Palm directory.

Do you use iSilo? Make sure that you have a copy of iSiloXC. This is the command line version. You can get it here. Unzip the file and copy the file iSiloXC.exe into the top level of the "sitescooper-3.1.3" folder. This is what Sitescooper will use to convert your scooped files. **EDIT** If this does not work by itself, put a copy of iSiloXC.exe in your "C:\Windows\System32" folder.

So that's pretty much it for setup. But you'll see later that there's lots of tweaking to be done to get things just like you want them.

Last edited by ignatz; 03-21-2004 at 11:23 AM.