View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
starky158
starky158 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Stupid registration prevents sideloading for gift?

Got a Kobo Touch as a gift for someone and figured out you can't actually use the damn thing unless you register for their garbage bloaty software. The person I am giving this too is pretty technologically illiterate and lives 300km away. I was planning on sideloading a couple hundred epubs and set them up on a stable firmware (IE .17 and giving it to them. I would then help them physically every time I am up there put on some new books.

So now I know how this is going to go down:

Me: Okay, now go to kobosetup.com and download the file, install it
Them: Where did I save it? I don't see it
Me: how the hell should I know, probably in your downloads folder
Them: how do I get there?

4 hours later

Me: Okay now put in your email address to register
Them: Whats my password, its set to automatically log in so I don't know

5 more hours and making a throwaway gmail account they will end up losing / forgetting:

Me: Okay now its set up and we can at least put books on it now, you need to download files that end in .epub or mobi

Them: oh it froze, the power button doesn't work

Me: they released another garbage firmware update that causes it to freeze every 30 seconds, take a folded paperclip and stick it in the pin hole in the back

Them: I give up

It doesn't have to be this hard Kobo... remove the damn bloat and let people actually control their device when they unbox it... a friendly (SKIPABBLE) reminder on first start to Update firmware, register an account and enter store information is fine, don't hold people hostage please.

tl;dr

Is there work around to turn it into a usable device as a gift without registering to an email address they will never use and possibly lose, while giving them the possibility of registering later to use the store and other garbage?
starky158 is offline   Reply With Quote