Thread: Author Website
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I find that I get better sales by driving people to Amazon then I ever get on my own site even though I have earned the "Trusted Merchant" and other certifications showing that I was cool and all... By driving the traffic to a major retailer, they assume all liability in the sales. Should something happen where stolen credit cards are used, or people are claiming that they were charged for things they did not authorized, the cost of that falls to the store owner. If that store owner is me, that means I have to foot the bill.
Actually, using PayPal means they handle CCs, so any cost complaints will go through them first. I never see a CC number from a purchaser, so I couldn't possibly access their accounts. And I use software that receives its purchase confirmation from PayPal in order to send the merchandise. That means PayPal is liable for any payment problems, not me. I'm just responsible for delivery.

I've actually driven more sales to my own site than I ever got through Amazon, B&N, Smashwords and its subsidiaries, combined. Partially because I will settle sales and delivery problems a lot faster. And I get more of the profit that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Websites are also useful because they give strangers a convenient way of getting in touch with you...
More than that: You can profile and showcase yourself the way you want to, not the way Amazon's Author Profile Page wants you to do it. You have the freedom to portray yourself entirely as you wish.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote