View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
The Kindle Fire and Kobo Arc and Nexus 7 all start at ~$200. Sony's tablets start at around double that. As with their ereaders, Sony's can't really compete trying to sell hardware at a decent margin up front, when their competitors are selling at cost and hoping to make money selling content.

Edit -- p.s. looking right now, 'viewers' is 345 Amazon, 187 Kobo, 57 B&N, 50 Sony, yet the Sony forum has a total thread count of +12000 vs. +4000 with Kobo and +3000 with B&N, suggesting Sony used to be much more popular but has lost the momentum it had with early adopters.

I would guess that a year from now we'll be looking at a near Amazon monopoly in the US with B&N a distant second, and Amazon and Kobo as a duopoly in most other markets. Sony's wide retail footprint doesn't matter for much - as it once did - now that ereaders are widely available.
I am reminded of a song.

~Beat the drums slowly, play the pipes lowly, I am Sony and you know I've done wrong.~

The Sony of my day is long gone.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote