View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Favorite epics. Hm. LOTR, obviously, yes. Dune, yes (but not the sequels). C.J. Cherry's Cyteen, I think, should count as an epic. Michner's Space.

I liked Hodgell's Kencyrath books, but I'm not sure I'd describe them as "epic." Well, maybe.... There's a multi-generation problem that takes several volumes to tackle... but the author hasn't gotten around to "solving" it yet, and I'm not sure she ever will. That doesn't seem to be the point of the stories.

But I'm not sure I'm using the term "epic" the same way as it's being used in this thread. Wiktionary defines "epic" as "An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero." or "A series of events considered appropriate to an epic." There is also a Wikipedia entry for Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy which specifically mentions Jame (the main character from Hodgell's stories.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote