View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Unhappy legally blind reader

I really want to get one of these ebook readers but I have some requirements that have to be met and I am not sure which device fits my specs (if any). So I thought I would list them in hopes that one of you out there can offer some help for me. I am new to this forum so please be patient with me.

I am legally blind and I love to read (major problem there Over the years as my eyesight has declined I have resorted to audio books, which for the most part works pretty well for casual reading, but I don't intend to use the device just for casual reading. I intend to mostly use it for study purposes. Because of my disability, I scan all my text books for school and then convert them into txt format which I then use an electronic voice to read them to me. However, often times in my classes I need to have the readings in front of me to look at with the rest of the class. When I heard about these ebook readers with the e-ink screens I thought that maybe there is a solution here. So this is what I need the device to do:

large font size (I took a look at the sony device in a book store and it did not get big enough)
Good contrast
note taking (such as underlining, margin and/or in text notes)

Things that I would like but aren't as important are:

in text word look up with a dictionary
ability to read web pages
several fonts to choose from or the ability to add others

Things that I don't need:

Good pdf reading
display of pictures

Is there a device out there that does what I need or am I waisting my time?
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote