View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 AM   #14
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Thanks for that Link. Can I still have an executive summary? I'm lazy, I know, but there is so much other I ouht to read...
Hey, and I don't have things I want to read or do?!!!!

I read it in short sessions over a couple of weeks (while on the bus, etc.) so I now can't remember all the detail. But it is the story of a company with a great product, with ideas ahead of their time, of something that should not have failed, but they misread the competition, misread the market needs for their products and made other management mistakes and blew it.

It's a real story of "if only..." and it is that sense that I sometimes have with iRex. The weren't so much defeated by the competition, they were defeated by themselves.

From the article:
Quote:
Today, the people who drew up those plans at Psion now underpin successful businesses in the very fields Psion rejected. In four years, Psion's former hardware chief turned a tiny Dutch software company into the leader in SatNav systems: TomTom this year will generate $2bn in turnover, using a core of former Psion staff, and led by the computer division's former managing director Harold Goddijn, and its star sales chief, Corinne Vigreux.

And the Psion engineer who eight years ago scouted component factories in England with a dream of making a hard disk-based MP3 player, today heads the engineering for Apple's iPod division. The only one of these consumer electronics products to make it to market was a DAB Radio. While smaller than satnav and portable music, the digital radio market is expected to be worth $1bn next year.
But really I recommend reading the whole thing.

Last edited by daudi; 04-18-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Minor edits to text
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote