View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #50
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJanssen View Post
12 bit colour is actually not that bad -- it hasn't been that many years since high end cellphone LCD Displays did 4096 colours. Even laptops had 12 or 16 bit LCD panels for a very long time, and many are *still* not beyond 18 bits. 12 bit colour is essentially 4 bits per channel, so it's the quality of 16-tint greyscale as we have now, only in colour. Presumably adding one or two bits to greyscale eInk to produce 32 or 64 tone greyscale will be the exact same process as getting to 15/18 bit colour and so we get the benefit of the R&D on both our types of screens.
"Not that bad" is relative, which is why I advocate seeing a color eInk device using a Triton display first hand, and if possible testing it using the sort of color content you would want to view.

From what I've seen thus far, it would not be adequate for me, but I don't assume I'm representative of the broader market. There may well be a lot of folks for whom it would be adequate and who would happily buy a color eInk device.

We may well see improvements in color e-Ink that would address my concerns, but they aren't there yet.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote