View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Three Tricks that aren't tricks at all

I happened across the minimalists blog. (very interesting in itself) one guy is a huge writer and here is a recent blog entry:

http://www.theminimalists.com/tell/
Quote:
As far as I can tell, there are no magical writing secrets....

There are, however, ways to hone your focus:...

The three things I look for in my own stories—whether fiction or nonfiction, essay or short story, novel or scribbling on the bathroom wall—are…

Urgency. The first sentence has one job: make the reader want to read the second. ....

Details. God is in the details. But so is the devil. Details, even minute ones, are incredibly important; ....

Fun or funny. Every good story is either fun or funny (or both). Said another way, a story is fun when it is engaging, when it has a payoff, when it makes you think differently. ...
I wouldn't call the third one "Fun" myself, but maybe "Provide a Payoff" - maybe that's fun, a laugh, a life lesson, insight into another's life, etc. etc.

Thought?

What are your "tricks?"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote