View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find this Greek/Christian mythology vs religion comment a little confusing. Help me understand it better.

I have often thought one person's mythology or superstition was another's religion - the key was whether you had faith in it or not.

But Harry T says many of the Greek stories were known to be just stories, not historical, by the Greeks who believed in the Greek gods.

Would it be like this:

Jesus' story of the prodigal son - parable/story - meant to make a point
The story of Jesus turning water into wine - meant to be a historical religious story
Noah's Ark - Historical religious story?

Trojan War - thought to be a myth, but shown to be a real place later on. Historical religious story?
The Golden Apple - myth/parable?

It gets slippery when there are interactions between people and the gods.

Moses and the burning bush
Virgin Mary pregnant with Jesus

Demeter requiring people to build a temple
Zeus getting together with a mortal woman to sire a son, Hercules

These specific interactions between gods and humans would be considered historical religious stories amongst people who believe in that religion, right?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote