View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #68
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well...that's not really the same thing. We can't compare a word processor, which, while WYSIWYG, has the opportunity to reflow pages when asked, with an ePUB, which has the never-ending task of constant reflowing--every time someone puts it on another device, when they change font-sizes, etc. That's a fairly demanding request, requiring a goodly amount of computing power and code. I think that javascript pop-ups/tooltips, etc., would be an easier solution, device-wise, than adding that much reflowability, on the fly. I could be wrong--you guys have far more coding-fu than I; but that's my $.02.

Hitch
It's exactly the same. I just took a document with 20 footnotes and a) changed the text size and b) changed the margins. LibreOffice behaved just as I would like a reader to do. I could have also changed the page size as well, and seen the wanted results.

I agree it may be a slow operation when the reflow including footnotes is performed on e-readers (not on iPads or PC e-reader software, etc). But Moore's law will continue to have an impact on e-reader processors, so the issue is temporary. Even if not, I can always pick to use a tablet to read on that does have the horsepower.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote