Thread: Calibre Speedup
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting.

I am not really surprised that calibre does not convert faster as it is pretty cpu intensive and you have lots of RAM.

My calibre startup time seems to be about 10 seconds (I have way too many books in there) with SATA HD and 8G RAM, so even 5% does not excite me.

Nice to see some actual numbers though.

Thanks

Helen
Oops, I made some mistakes earlier so retested with variables more leveled, and revised my prior post with the corrections. OS X startup after shutdown is twice as fast, not five times as fast. And I'd previously tested with calibre startup restriction off, but on SSD with startup restriction on. I turned off the startup restriction, removed some recently added books from library that were added since testing with the hard disk drive, and got speedier results, over 25% faster without restriction than with restriction.

Last edited by unboggling; 10-22-2012 at 07:25 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote