View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
Dinghy
Monkfish
Dinghy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch or Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Either the Kindle Touch or the Nook Touch are decent purchases. It used to be that I would recommend the Nook over the Kindle, since the Nook could check out library books, but now the Kindle can too. Either one can side-load books, and it's trivial to convert epub to mobi or vice-versa, so that's not an issue. I'd say whichever one is cheaper or more aesthetically pleasing to you is the one you should get.

Take my advice and stay away from the Kobo Touch though. I had one and eventually got so fed up I sold it and bought a Nook Touch. It's so glitchy, and the text formatting (while better than its predecessor the Kobo Wifi) is still nowhere near as good as the Kindle or Nook.
Depends where you live and what you want it for eg Kindle does not let you borrow from UK libraries where Kobo does.

Im trying to figure out what to buy now my K3 died - I want a touch UI but Kindle no longer lets you use 3G I had on my keyboard for browsing and email so I'm struggling to understand the need or large price differential in the KT 3G versus standard KT. I find this limitation annoying as a traveller, but understand it may be too expensive for Amazon to support going forward. - this is pushing me towards Kobo as I'm sure it will many old K3 3G users who are used to a gold 3G service and wont accept a downgrade.

Kobo seem more in tune with UK customers, have hooked up with a UK retail book store, can cope with more formats without the hassle of conversion - Calibre might work for some but I just can't be bothered - I want to just buy and read and on the go.

All the touch devices appear to have glitches of some sort so I'm still at a cross roads - anyone got both? having been an Amazon client I wonder if it's time for a change even though I will need to convert existing books I want to re read.

I also wonder if Kobo will eventually become the undisputed market leader - they only do, care and focus on one thing and that's the ebook market and now have significant Japanese clout, funding and tech know how behind them whereas Amazon on the other hand is the worlds largest online retail store focusing on a myriad of business opportunities.

The flip side is that currently Amazon and Kindle is still the go to ecosystem and possibly devices, although I don't like their proprietary approach as much as the open approach to other companies, then again the Kobo Touch £20 cheaper and Amazons price differential between US and UK is nothing short of a disgrace - fortunately I'm frequently in NY.

Any advice on which device is better much appreciated, unfortunately - or maybe fortunately as I'd only be more confused we do t have Nook in the Uk. I think you can probably tell but I'm trending towards Kobo but it's largely about the device for me and that's where I'm stuck.

Last edited by Dinghy; 04-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote