Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle 3 Freezes
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody479 View Post
Let me start by saying that I was a die-hard Kindle fan. I loved my generation 1 and 2 ebooks they all performed flawlessly. So imagine how very excited I was when the generation 3 came out. Being the fan that I am I ordered one the first day.

It arrived, I loaded some books on it, and it worked as advertised until I took the library of 700 books stored without a single glitch on the Kindle 2 and dropped it on to the hard drive of the Kindle 3. That is when all the crashes and self-resets began. It got so bad it was resetting itself every 20 minutes and when it did I would lose where I was in the book. It would default to the beginning of the book and it would no longer have what percentage that I read so I would have to page forward to my place. It also ceased having the most recently open book first in the order of most recent first.

Got so frustrated that I called Kindle Support and they sent me a new<refurbished> Kindle so I dropped my library on it and had the exact same problems with it.....................
I have about 2100 books= 2,3 GB on my Kindle 3, so 3000 isn't an empty boast of Amazon. I still have ca. 1GB left; rest is for the Kindle.

I used to have an iLiad that crashed and I must say; don't miss it a bit.
But the weak point of the Kindle, in my opinion, is indexing after loading a lot of books. Mine crashed away when I first got it, because I loaded too many books at once on it.

I learned the hard way to do it in batches of 2/300. Give it a rest for a few hours for indexing and recharging; always did it in the evening, so in the morning my Kindle was ready for more action.

I noticed that indexing made the Kindle very unstable, especially if you try to read a book, or do some sorting in Collections right after downloading.
Also takes a lot of battery-life out of it, which isn't always visible on the indicator.

In my case; once I loaded all my books and sorted them in Collections (yes…one by one, no windows collection manager for my mac), it worked fine. I really love it. Only seldom it reboots now and is very reliable.

As for the software; I started out with 3.0.0 and grabbed every update. With every update the Kindle got sturdier, although not the indexing.

I hope it all will work out for you. Good luck and good Kindle-reading.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote