View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Panther_Modern
Panther_Modern began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 (soon to be PRS-600)
Lightbulb

Well, the tests I just did confirm the above.

The PRS-600 does not read the database(s) generated by the PRS-700, regardless of size. Even if the database contains only a single PDF on the card, the PRS-600 still won't read it.

I can say I'm somewhat surprised about that...I expected the readers to share more or less the same functionality. After careful consideration however, I see that's not the case; the "handwriting" notes add different values to the "notes" fields in the database.

For example, if you annotate a document in "Small" text mode, and then enlarge to "Medium" text mode, the annotation will disappear. Similarly, if you annotate at "Large" and go back to "Medium", the handwritten note will disappear - however, returning to each zoom level views each note, respectively.

Since the PRS-700 doesn't have this feature and doesn't include entries in the database(s) for such handwritten notes, I suspect that a combination of fields probably not limited to the hand-written notes fields are what is throwing it off.

Regardless, it's definitely not a deal-breaker, although Sony should probably put a small warning together, as people will undoubtedly transfer their SD or MemoryStick cards over to their new device.
Panther_Modern is offline   Reply With Quote