View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
All new Kindle and "all new" auto-hyphenation? (Yes, this is a Nook thread!)

So I was reading articles on typography last night (because that's how I roll) and I found a couple of articles discussing the new Bookerly font. I noticed they are all hot and bothered about the Kindle's new ability to auto-hyphenate.

From the PC Mag article: "The automatic hyphenation, on the other hand, is an absolutely terrific idea. You won't realize how awkward Kindle line spacing was until you've seen your first properly hyphenated Kindle page, and then you'll never want to go back."

Hasn't Nook done this for years? Here's a screenshot of my Nook Simple Touch and there are several auto-hyphenated words:

Has Kindle not done that until now? If it hasn't, how come I haven't heard that listed as a con before? Are they doing something different? Why does the Kindle get so much praise if it couldn't do something so basic until now?

B&N have dropped the ball in a number of areas, but until the latest Nook Glowlight model, their hardware was very nice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote