View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #165
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I didn't consider how much time it takes to find books, get their metadata accurate up to my library standard, clean-up formats if necessary.
One reason why I started cleanup library. When I'm already on the page it's easier to find other freebies than go hunting for them later (and who says that they'll be free then). Also, it's easier to see if I already have the book and keep author's books together.
I toss them in and enter easily avilable data from download page - publication date, source, synopsis+some reviews...
When I'm looking for reading material, it's easy to browse the covers, read the blurbs and decide. I may make some cleaning of metadata in between also (like, when in isfdb, I can look up data (awards, series, first publication) for several books I have from the author), but can't know anything about formatting and such until I've read it.

Kiwidude advised to find your best format and only add that one in. I like to see at a glance what I have for the book.
So my Calibre shows 'formats' in book detail and just one look tells me what I did. If there's only mobi, it means I dl-d it and have no gripes (not happened yet). Mobi/prc + txt = some gripes (maybe not worth the cleaning, maybe some other comments). Pdf/epub + prc + ace + txt = converted and cleaned up, details in txt, materials for mobi creator in ace.
One click on format opens it - mobi in mobireader, pdf in acrobat, epub in Calibre reader...
When I've read it, then I delete all other instances of the book from my HD (exept Calibre backup of course).

Maybe in the future if I see lot of lag in Calibre (never knew that having several formats could cause it) I'll move everything exept mobi and txt to archive, but not now.