View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #69
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
What iPad is missing
  • USB ports and Memory card slots
  • Flash browser
  • e-book format support. Seems to have PDF and eReader and ePub. But is ADEPT ePub going to be available? Is PDF support very good?
  • DivX video support (and other formats as well)
  • Remote PC control - I expect that LogMeIn Ignition or other apps will support this
  • BT tethering to use my Treo as modem data plan. I'm not even sure how I'll figure this out before making a purchase decision, but it would be a big plus if it works.
  • GPS and mapping SW. Wish it could run Google Maps with GPS. Maybe it will?
  • Flash browsing - especially to allow things like Hulu, Fancast, ESPN360, etc.
  • Synching without a computer or iTunes. That goes back to the memory card and USB port, but also I don't really want to even use iTunes unless I have to.
  • If you buy an app on an iPad/iPhone/iTouch, do you have to buy it again to use it on another iPad/iPhone/iTouch? If not, and I get an iPad, they may have shifted my future phone desires from Android to iPhone as well.
My take on your list, Bob:

1) only as dongles-both a USB adapter and SD card adapter were shown..BUT...they are being specifically referred to as "camera" accessories (i.e. to help transfer digital photos/hook up a camera), not as general purpose ports-which may be a difference.

2) Just not going to happen.

3) No news about what ePub DRM it will support. My guess? Apple's Fairplay. Apple really hates to depend on anyone else for stuff like this.

4) video codec support will be .h264. None of the fun ones like divx or mkv. (Would be awesome if Perian could be installed, but its not going to happen)

5) Can't wait to try LogmeIn Ignition on the iPad...its just too small on the iPhone for me.

6) Tethering. Love to see it, esp. for the iPhone, don't expect to see it.

7) GPS-yes, with the 3G model only. (A-GPS actually)

8) Not going to happen. I do predict Hulu and ESPN will offer iPad/iPhone compatible streaming solutions though.

9) Syncing-tied to iTunes only...except the shared folder thing-where it will put a folder on your PC or Mac that Apps can access. Still have to start up iTunes though, I bet.

10) Nope. All the apps you've bought are still yours to use on the iPad as they are...BUT...I bet Apple will allow app devs to re-charge for iPad specific versions-at least once...if that makes sense.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote