View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Try to minimize the tag browser to the left. I have have it minimized all the time, except when I actually need it.

Usually when you update metadata only some records in the database is changed. But when you update authors or title, then the books have to be moved to a new folder in the calibre library.

Also when the books are moved they are really first copied to the new place and then deleted at the old. Not just renamed. The reason is that this reduces the chance of data corruption if the process is interrupted for some reason. If only one book is updated, then the disc caches can most likely be fully used to speed it up. But maybe not as likely if several books are updated.

More RAM will most likely help.
I'm already running with the tag browser minimized. And, yeah, I know what Calibre does when I update an author or a title, so I expect it to be slower than say, adding a tag or something like that which only needs to update the Calibre database. But that is not it, because actions like that are a lot slower as well when done in batch as compared to doing them one at a time.

It does seem database size related, because the effect is a lot less when I do it on my small library (which is about a sixth the size of my main one)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote