View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
a) it's not on-line. You have to sync one device to iTunes and then sync the other device.
To clarify a bit, iTunes is involved when loading the book into iBooks.

I've never done network traces to see what's being sent, but the fact that it can support books not purchased from Apple makes it seem like it is generating a unique ID for the book when it is first loaded into iTunes and then syncing using this ID. Given that it doesn't require both devices to be syncing at the same time, it's pretty clear that it's syncing against an Apple server somewhere in the cloud.

But as tbergman said above, once that's done, sync is over 3G or wifi. It's worked pretty reliably for me provided I make sure to exit the book to the iBooks home screen.

It actually works better than Kindle syncing in one way: it doesn't have the asinine idea that what I wanted synced is the last page I've *ever* read in the book.

Last edited by dwharrison; 08-09-2010 at 01:32 PM.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote